Do you finally have some time off work and want a relaxing but fun experience? Then consider these movies to watch high. You’re going to find that you’ll truly appreciate these marvels of cinema – from their mind-bending plot lines to their pointless shenanigans – far more when you’re in a relaxed and fun state of mind.
Head over to your local dispensary and get stocked up. Then read on for a top seven movies to watch after hitting your bong!
Features of Movies to Watch High
All of these movies are great in their own right, but there’s something about being high that makes them a truly engaging or hilarious experiences. You’ll also find that they have similar elements: dark and irreverent humor, or plot lines that simply force you to perceive the world in a new way.
1. Pineapple Express
This is a buddy stoner action comedy film. Watching this high will increase the funny-factor of the character’s irreverent shenanigans.
A process server and his marijuana dealer flee from hit men and a corrupt cop after they witness them committing a murder. As their relationship strengthens and their courage grows, they also experience some really good weed.
- Directed By: David Gordon Green
- Written By: Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg
- Produced By: Judd Apatow, Shauna Robertson
- Starring: Seth Rogen, James Franco, Gary Cole, Rosie Perez, Danny McBride
2. The Big Lebowski
Even though is received mediocre reviews when it came out, this movie is known as the quintessential crime comedy and stoner movie created in 1998. Jeff Bridges stars as Jeffrey “The Dude” Lebowski, a bowler living in Los Angeles. After he’s assaulted, he realizes it’s a case of mistaken identity – the real target was a millionaire.
As The Dude is commissioned to help the millionaire deliver ransom money for his wife. things go awry – his friend wants to keep the money.
- Directed By: Joel Coen
- Written By: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
- Produced By: Ethan Coen
- Starring: Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, David Huddleston, John Turturro
Starting in 2004, Anchorman is a series of three films: Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Wake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie, and Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues.
When you’re high, the clueless antics of a San Diego top rated newsman will be all the funnier. Taking place in the ‘70s, the movie is filled with silly scenes and highly quotable lines.
- Directed By: Adam McKay
- Written By: Will Ferrell, Adam McKay
- Produced By: Judd Apatow, Will Ferrell, Adam McKay
- Starring: Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate, Paul Rudd, Steve CArell, David Koechner, Fred Willard
4. Fight Club
Based on the 1996 novel of the same name by Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club is a 1999 film that takes you into the dark world of Norton’s unnamed narrator. Disconnected from reality and living a stale and uninspired life, he forms a fight club with the soap salesman Tyler Durden, played by Brad Pitt.
We don’t want to give too much more away if you’ve never seen the movie, but prepared for many twists and turns that will be all the more impactful high.
- Directed By: David Fincher
- Written By: Jim Uhls
- Produced By: Art Linson, Cean Chaffin, Ross Grayson Bell
- Starring: Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, Helena Bonham Carter, Meat Loaf Aday, Jared Leto
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Created in 2004, this is an American romantic science fiction comedy-drama. If that seems like a crazy genre mash-up, be prepared for an equally fascinating and unique movie that dives into the lives of an estranged couple who have erased themselves from each other’s memories.
- Directed By: Michel Gondry
- Written By: Charlie Kaufman
- Produced By: Steve Golin, Anthony Bregman
- Starring: Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood, Tom Wilkinson
Sci-fi is a great genre to watch high, and we’re continuing with this trend with the 2010 science fiction action film Inception. The movie stars Leonardo DiCaprio, who is employed to steal or distort information by infiltrating his target’s subconscious through dreams.
You’ll be in for an even greater head-trip if you watch this high and “inception” will become part of your daily vocabulary. Leonardo DiCaprio’s character is offered to have his entire criminal history erased if he implants another person’s idea in his target’s subconscious. Of course, this becomes just as complicated as it sounds.
- Directed By: Christopher Nolan
- Written By: Christopher Nolan
- Produced By: Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan
- Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, Tom Berenger, Michael Caine
7. Shaun of the Dead
We’re going to end this list with another great genre mash-up: horror comedy. If you like this genre, Shaun of the Dead, created in 2004, needs to be part of your cinematic repertoire.
A group of Londoners are caught up in an apocalyptic zombie uprising and opt to seek shelter in a local pub, the Winchester, until the military finds and rescues them. This really isn’t as straight-forward as it sounds.
- Directed By: Edgar Wright
- Written By: Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg
- Produced By: Nira Park
- Starring: Simon Pegg, Kate Ashfield, Lucy David, Nick Frost, Dylan Moran, Bill Nighy, Penelope Wilton
Hopefully you’ve found one or two movies from this list of movies to watch high that you’ve never seen before. Even if you have watched all of these movies, try watching them high – you’ll find that your experience is substantially more fun!
Need to restock? Head over to our store menu to see all the cannabis options we have available.